Many companies across the retail landscape are continuing to implement sustainable design measures in their stores:
• Office Depot - plans to open 14 stores under the LEED Commercial Interiors program in 2010
• Kohl’s - installed its 100th rooftop solar array this year, which provides nearly half of each store’s electricity needs
• SuperValu - focusing on lighting, refrigeration and fleet transportation efforts to reduce carbon emissions as part of the World Wildlife Fund’s Climate Savers program.
• Half Price Books - installed a charging station for electronic vehicles at its Dallas flagship and corporate headquarters
• Ikea – will open its first U.S. store to integrate a geothermal system in Centennial, Colo. this year
For VMSD's special report on green retailing, click here.